To access this training:
Literacy for 504/Special Education Students
Need some training at your school?
- School Principal makes official request to Dr. Suzanne Langford
- Suzanne contacts Literacy RT.
- Set up meeting with Literacy RT/Team and school/complex stakeholders to discuss inservice.
(Use Professional Development Planning/Evaluation worksheet.)
- Ask some key questions.
- How does your request fit in with special education/504 students?
- Why do you want the inservice?
- What do you want to happen at your school?
- What and how were the needs identified?
- What are three concerns you have about literacy?
- What approaches are you using for emergent literacy?
- What are you doing in your SPED classrooms and with your students and how can we be
- Factors to consider in Professional Development
- School/Dept. commitment – At least 2 days of training (one for
initial, second for follow-up)
- Sustainability – Depending on the kind of inservice given (i.e. awareness, knowledge-based,
skill-based, application), how would the school/dept. make sure what they are asking for is sustained
over a period of time?
- On-going support – What kind of on-going support will the school be providing for the teachers?
- Who will fund the inservice? – SES Literacy can fund SpEd teachers in the PD. School needs to fund
Reg. Ed teachers. School will fund other resources.
- School runs off all materials for the inservice.
- Set meeting for follow-up/exit.
- Keep Professional Development - Planning/Evaluation. for your records. Send one copy to Suzanne.
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.