The Hawaii Department of Education (HIDOE) application for the ARRA Title I School Improvement Grant and School Improvement Grant 1003(g) were approved. The HIDOE grant supports schools and/or complex areas in restructuring falling into one of the three different tiers indicated below:
- Tier I: The lowest-achieving 5 percent of Title I schools in restructuring in the State, or the five lowest-achieving Title I schools in restructuring in the State, whichever number of schools is greater.
- Tier II: Equally low-achieving secondary schools (both middle and high schools) in the State that are eligible for, but do not receive, Title I funds. (All Title I secondary schools receive Title I funds, therefore, HIDOE do not have secondary school under Tier II.)
- Tier III: The remaining Title I schools in restructuring that are not Tier I schools in the State and are low-achieving schools with priority to schools that are in the Innovation Zones and to those complex areas that display the strongest commitment to turning around failing schools, especially those interested in implementing one of four new "rigorous interventions":
- Turnaround model, which would include, among other actions, replacing the principal and at least 50 percent of the school's staff, adopting a new governance structure, and implementing a new or revised instructional program.
- Restart model, in which an LEA would close the school and reopen it under the management of a charter school operator, a charter management organization (CMO), or an educational management organization (EMO) that has been selected through a rigorous review process.
- School closure, in which an LEA would close the school and enroll the students who attended the school in other, high-achieving schools in the LEA.
- Transformation model, which would address four specific areas critical to transforming the lowest achieving schools:
- Developing teacher and school leader effectiveness;
- Implementing comprehensive instructional reform strategies;
- Extending learning time and creating community-oriented schools; and
- Providing operating flexibility and sustained support..
- The Hawaii Department of Education Approved ARRA Title I School Improvement, and School Improvement 1003(g) Application and Attachments:
- HIDOE urges schools and the Department of Education to take bold actions towards school reform, building on lessons learned, and providing schools with the right mix of capacity, opportunity, and incentives to realize drastic improvements in student achievement.
- FY 2009 SIG Allocations to Tier 1 and Tier III Schools
- The seven schools with approved multi-year plans are:
- Ka`u Complex Area Innovation Zone
- Ka`u High and Pahala Elementary
- Keonepoko Elementary
- Na`alehu Elementary
- Hawaii District
- Honolulu District
- Hawaii School for the Deaf and Blind (HSDB)
- Leeward District
- Windward District
- FY 2010 and FY 2011 SIG 1003 (g)
© Hawaii State Department of Education, P.O. Box 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804; Physical
address: 1390 Miller St, Honolulu, HI 96813; phone: 808-586-3230; fax: 808-586-3234. All rights reserved.
For problems/questions concerning this web site, please email the webmaster. Links to
other web sites should not be considered an endorsement. DOE is not responsible for the content of external web sites.